Creating an Entryway in a Small Space (+ Easy Hook Update DIY)
I’m excited to give you the first look into our new apartment today! We moved in less than two weeks ago, but we’ve been hustling to make it feel like home. It helps that we’re forced to stay home for a while…and it’s been a useful opportunity to put our own spin on this rented space. In this case, I’m sharing my tips for creating an entryway in a small space with a quick, easy hook update DIY! Using a few cost-effective updates from Wayfair, I transformed this small section of our living room into a functional entryway that has everything we need. Many homes don’t come with a dedicated entryway space, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make one! Here’s how I made it happen.
My biggest struggle with creating an entryway in a small space here was actually the window. Ideally, I would have either hung larger hooks or a mirror here. Mirrors help make a small space appear larger AND they’re useful for checking your appearance on your way out the door. No worries, though! I utilized the small gap next to the window for storage as well the drawer in my entryway table (similar here).
Tips for Carving Out a Small Space Entryway
There are a few things to address in your entryway area, particularly in a small space where you need to determine priority:
- Storage – First and foremost, you’ll want storage solutions in your entryway! Whether it’s for your keys, coats, purse, umbrella, mail or anything else you carry with you, storage is important. Look for solutions like individual wall hooks and drawer organizers. I like these interlocking organizers that come in different shapes so you can customize how they fit into your drawers.
- Seating – While you might not always think of seating in an entryway, I like having a spot to tie my shoes. That’s why I was so happy to add this velvet ottoman to our small space entryway! It slides perfectly under the table so it’s not in the way. Then it also provides an extra seat in the living room when we want it! You could even use a storage ottoman if you need even more storage.
- Lamp – I swear, the last three places we’ve lived didn’t have proper electrical wiring, so none of the light switches were connected correctly. For once, the light switch actually turns on this lamp! Creating an entryway in a small space starts with lighting. Depending on your space, a floor lamp or wall-mounted lamp could save you valuable tabletop space.
- Plants and Photos – This entryway is the first thing you see when you walk in. Personally, I love that I’m immediately greeted with a plant (how gorgeous is this textured planter?) and our photos rotating on a smart device.
- Rug – We have a doormat outside of our front door, but in the rain, that doesn’t always do the trick. Because this small space entryway is locked in between my table and kitchen counter, it was the perfect spot for a small rug. This helps reduce how much gunk we track in!
Try this Easy Hook Update DIY with Paint
I used paint to make this easy hook update using these white and gold wall hooks from Wayfair.
- Wall hooks
- Painters tape
Step 1: Secure a piece of painters tape around the middle of the hook, blocking off just the tip. Make sure the ends of the tape meet to create a continuous look.
Step 2: Then paint! I used a simple acrylic paint (home decor paints also recommended) to paint the tips. Paint multiple coats as needed and peel away the tape while still wet. Let dry completely before mounting.
Adding these hooks to the wall helps create an entryway in a small space by giving me a place to hang my purse, a coat or even an umbrella. All in all, I’m looking forward to having a functional space to catch our clutter as we walk in!
Psst, I’m hoping to use a similar paint color to create a simple mural in the living room! Hope to share more soon!
Thank you to Wayfair for generously sponsoring this post. All opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that keep Club Crafted sharing!