Hey guys! I’m really excited to welcome a new contributor to the blog today! Hardip Sohal of Love Cakes is here to share a super cute cupcake recipe and decorating tutorial for candy floss cupcakes, also more commonly known by Americans as cotton candy cupcakes.
Scroll down for the full recipe card! ??
Brighten up your party with these fantastically fun candy floss cupcakes! Also known as cotton candy, the addition of this spun sugar is a wonderfully easy way of transforming your cupcakes into a magical treat for children (and big kids!).
Candy floss is widely available in supermarkets and on-line, in a variety of colours, so you can be as creative and vibrant as you like.
- 12-hole cupcake baking tray
- 12 cupcake cases
- Piping nozzle (for these we have used Wilton tip 10)
- Disposable piping bag
- 12 lollipop sticks
- 1 box of shop bought candy floss (or if you’re feeling really adventurous, make your own! There are many candy floss machines available to purchase inexpensively, and they do a great job.)
- 4oz unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 4oz caster sugar
- 4oz self-raising flour, sifted
- ½ tsp baking powder, sifted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium eggs
- 3oz butter, at room temperature
- 8oz icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 tsp milk
- coloured sprinkles
- Pre-heat oven to 140 degrees C (300 degrees F)
- Add all ingredients for the cupcakes to a medium-sized mixing bowl and whizz with an electric whisk until creamy
- Divide mixture evenly between the cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on top and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack
- In the mean time, get started on the buttercream icing. Using an electric whisk, cream the butter in a medium mixing bowl
- Sift in the icing sugar and combine using a metal spoon, add the vanilla and milk, then beat gently using an electric whisk for a few minutes
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag fitted with your chosen nozzle
- When the cakes have cooled, pipe the buttercream on top using a spiraling motion and top with a few pinches of sprinkles (you may find it easier to dip the cupcakes gently upside down into a small bowl of the sprinkles)
- Next, insert a lollipop stick into the centre of each cake. Roll a small amount of candy floss very gently between your palms and slot onto the top of the stick (do this stage just before serving to prevent the candy floss from melting)