French fries are a gift to humanity, and I feel pretty much the same way about cake. As someone with a documented love affair with both foods, I thought it would be fun to combine them into one amazing recipe. Thus, CAKE FRIES were born! These delicious pound cake fries with frosting dipping sauce are a unique treat you won’t be able to get enough of. Trust me, I ate way too many of them myself. With a light crunchy exterior and fluffy pound cake inside, these cake fries are truly the cake version of a classic French fry. Paired with a smooth, thinned out funfetti frosting, it’s the best of both worlds and makes a perfect dessert appetizer for a party!
I was so excited to try making these, and it took me a few tries to get them just right. There’s not much to it! I simply cut a loaf of pound cake into thin fry shapes and fried them in a small amount of oil in a skillet just like regular potato fries. Once browned on all sides, I removed them and sprinkled them with a little sanding sugar to appear like salt.
The frosting sauce is actually a combination of buttercream frosting and whipped cream. It has all of the flavor of frosting but a thinner, smoother consistency like that of a dipping sauce. Plus, the whipped cream tones down the sweetness and gives it that perfectly smooth texture. Of course, it HAD to have sprinkles mixed in!
Now I feel like I need to have a party for the sole purpose of sharing these with everyone…can I just have a dessert party please?
- 1 loaf of pound cake
- Vegetable oil
- Colored sanding sugar (optional topping)
- 1/2 cup vanilla frosting (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup whipped cream or Cool Whip
- Cut the ends of the pound cake and discard
- Cut the pound cake into slices about 3/4-inch thick. Cut away the bottom, then cut into equal-sized strips along the wider side of the slices
- In a skillet, heat about a tablespoon of oil over medium heat
- Use tongs to add several cake strips to the pan. Do not dredge in oil or they will become soggy
- Fry briefly on all sides until golden and remove to a paper towel lined plate. Immediately sprinkle with sanding sugar if desired
- Repeat with all strips, adding more oil as needed. Serve fresh for best results
- Mix together equal parts frosting (room temperature) and whipped cream, followed by the frosting
- Move to a small dipping bowl and store in the fridge until ready to serve