Happy Thirsty Thursday! If you ever watch my Insta Stories (granted, I’m probably not that interesting), you probably know that I went on a mission to find blood oranges and after failing to find them at three different stores, I gave up and used different ingredients. Well, guess what I finally found?! While doing some everyday shopping at Sprouts, blood oranges suddenly appeared in a small section of the store and I was definitely not going to pass up the opportunity! After bringing them home, I was left to figure out what I was going to do with them. Looking around my kitchen at other possible ingredients, I quickly knew I wanted to make a margarita, but to take it up a notch, I made it a rosemary blood orange margarita.
Scroll down for the full recipe card! ??
It was perfect, and I was so happy after I finished taking the photos because it meant I could actually drink the margarita! That’s the biggest struggle of food/dessert blogging…having to take photos before you can eat something. I know, rough life, right?
I sat down with my margarita to watch an episode of The Bachelor (it’s OK, you can judge me) and snack on tortilla chips and a bowl of salsa that leaked everywhere. I’m sure I sound incredibly classy, but that’s real life, folks! Anyway, I love the refreshing herb-like taste that rosemary brought to the drink. Even though the simple syrup doesn’t add an overwhelming amount of flavor, it added much needed sweetness and just a tad bit of flavor to balance out the citrus.
No matter what you put in a margarita, I’ll probably love it! Whenever we go out, I almost always indulge in a blended strawberry margarita, but that was before I found out how delicious margaritas are when they’re made with blood oranges…
- 1/3 cup (3 fl oz.) blood orange juice, approx. 2 blood oranges
- 2 tbsp (1 fl oz.) lime juice
- 1/4 cup (2 fl oz.) tequila
- 2 tbsp (1 fl oz.) rosemary simple syrup
- For the rosemary simple syrup recipe: http://clubcrafted.com/2017/01/26/3-simple-syrup-recipes-to-keep-stocked-rosemary-honey-lavender
- Combine the blood orange juice, lime juice, tequila and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker
- Add ice and shake to mix
- Rim a low glass with a bit of blood orange juice and dip in kosher or sea salt
- Add ice to the glass and pour in the shaker mixture
- Garnish with a sprig of rosemary and a slice of blood orange
- You can certainly make this with unflavored simple syrup