In true picky eater fashion, pizza is toward the top of my favorite foods list, and I’m sure I’m not alone. Pizza is the king of foods, and today I’m celebrating it in the form of a DIY pizza tray! I know that when you hear that, you’re probably thinking I tray for pizza, but nope! I mean a tray that LOOKS like pizza!
Whether you use it to serve drinks, display cheeses or anything else, it’s just a fun novelty item to have around the house. While it can’t hold an incredible amount of weight without getting out the drill, it looks great on your table. All you need are a few items and colors of paint to create this pizza tray, and you don’t need a drill as long as you’re not lifting heavy items. With a heavy glue to hold the handles on the tray, you can get by, or you can strengthen the tray by drilling the handles in place.
- Round piece of wood
- 2 drawer handles
- E6000 glue or equivalent
- Yellow paint
- Tan paint
- Red paint
- Green paint
- Black paint
- Depending on your wood, sand if needed. Paint the front and sides of the wood with a layer of tan colored paint. Once dry, paint a second coat
- Once dry, paint a somewhat uneven circle of yellow paint in the middle, leaving about an inch border of tan paint around the edge (the tan being the crust, the yellow being the cheese). Fill in the entire middle with yellow paint, let dry and paint a second coat
- Use smaller paint brushes to paint red “pepperonis” randomly around the cheese area, about 1 inch around
- Then use the green and black or brown paints to paint small curves and black paint to create circles with holes to indicate other toppings
- Paint small mushroom shapes with the tan paint and let it all dry
- Lastly, coat the entire piece in a sealant to keep the paint from peeling and let it dry completely
- This step depends on how strong you want your tray to be – I simply dabbed strong adhesive to the bottoms of the drawer pulls and placed them evenly on opposite sides of the tray and let dry for several hours. It will not be as strong this way. To secure it better, drill holes through the tray and secure the handles with screws (should come with the handles when purchased)
Now your tray is ready for use! Simply be mindful of weight on the tray to eliminate potential accidents.
This pizza tray is a fun item to have around the house, and what better place to serve my beer while I chow down on pizza?!